Using Google Analytics to track and Analyze your Blogsite ~ Make Money Fast - The Million Dollar Experiment Down Under

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Using Google Analytics to track and Analyze your Blogsite

I have recently started using Google Analytics and I have to say that in line with most of Googles products it appears to work well, and has an in depth amount of information that you can drill down into.

Google's service was modeled upon Urchin Software Corporation's analytics system, Urchin on Demand (Google acquired Urchin Software Corp. in April 2005). Google still sells the standalone installable Urchin software through a network of value-added resellers.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

Setting up Google Analytics is a simple enough process, you need to go to www.google.com/analytics and enter the normal information. (email, website etc). Once this is done you will be provided with a small amount of code that you need to place on your site.

It can take a day or so before Google Analytics starts processing the data from your site, however the information that it provides is both clear and meaningful.

Many ad filtering programs and extensions (such as adblock block the Urchin JavaScript. This prevents some traffic and users from being tracked, and leads to holes in the statistical data. Also, privacy networks like tor will mask the users actual location and prevent accurate geographical data.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics
Here is an example of the type of graphs that are shown when looking at your sites statistics. This has only been running for a day and half so the data is a little scarce however it is certainly easy to interpret. I will certainly be using Google Analytics from now on, another valuable Web Bloggers Tool



If you found this site to be helpful or inspiring you are welcome to donate to Robs Experiment!

Pay with Paymate Express

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am using google analytics for few days. But I couldnt find a way to block my IP address like in sitemeter. Do u know how to do it?

Anonymous said...

You can use the filter manager. heres the info from the site. Filter manager is down the bottom when you first login. Hope this helps!

Filter Manager:
Filters allow you to manipulate the data coming in to your account. You can filter out particular IP addresses, include traffic from a subdomain or subdirectory only, or create custom filters for more advanced requirements.

Unknown said...

Hi,
thanks for the info. I could exclude my ip address.

Deepa said...

Hi..
A certain person is stealing my posts
I got his IP from my sitemeter account as 60.53.62.#
But how do i format this in analytics so that this IP is banned from viewing my site..
Please help
very urgent.. he is repeating this insipte of me tellling him personally in his comments
PLEASE

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry deepa, Google Analytics can not stop someone visiting your site, it will only stop their visits appearing in the reports that GA creates

Deepa said...

uh oh..
my bad..
:(

Anonymous said...

If you are interested I have written a blog post on Google Analytics and how it can help your site/blog. Check it out here:

http://netmoneyfaq.com/archive/2007/04/02/what-is-google-analytics-and-how-can-it-help-me-improve-my-site.aspx

Ben Hoffman
http://NetMoneyFAQ.com