How to Unchain Yourself from the Rat Race ~ Make Money Fast - The Million Dollar Experiment Down Under

Saturday, November 24, 2007

How to Unchain Yourself from the Rat Race

Just over 1 year ago I was pretty firmly entrenched in the rat race along with the rest of the world, however I knew that this kind of life was not for me. One thing is for certain and that is that life is short, so although this is up to each individual I for one did not want to spend 40 + hours chained to a desk and my time being at the mercy of other people.

The ideal lifestyle that I am seeking is one where I can live wherever I want to in the world - where money is not something that holds me back and where I can continue to grow as a person. For me working 9 - 5 in a company role was not providing me with the freedom that I so wanted and as we all know life is about choice - I for one choose not to do that and knew that I had to create different avenues of income to release myself from the shackles of the "normal lifestyle".

If you find yourself in a similar situation it is easy to say that you have no choice and that circumstances have made it the way it is, however although that is fine to think like that I don't think like that at all and believe that we are each in charge of the way we choose to live our lives. The chances are that unless you can change your view of the world it's quite possible that you are going to continue to live like that for the rest of your life - don't get me wrong that's ok, however I do believe that this is a conscious choice.

One question that I do ask that you think about is why do you work 40 hours a week? Now I realize that some people work more and probably some less, however the standard working week is 5 days a week and approximately 40 hours. However do you really think that working for 5 days and having 2 days off is smart? Do you enjoy going to work on a Monday morning and feel refreshed after your 48 hours of freedom? Why not work 2 days and have 5 days off?

It is drilled into us from the time we are born that a 5 day working week is good and normal - people even say "he's a good worker" after poor average joe does another week of overtime however is it really a smart thing to be doing?

The way to free yourself is firstly to stop making excuses about why you can't - come on I know it's hard but this is very important. Set yourself some targets and start working to achieving your dreams.



Subscribe with feed reader Make Money Fast feed
Subscribe by Email to the Make Money Fast Email Updates

Your link here $5 for 4 links (1 link X 4 posts)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob,

I so agree with you. I've gone past the 'quitting my 9-5 stage'. I did quit my job back in '04. Where I'm at at the mo' is battling with my own demons to get to where I wanna get to.

You take care. Inspiring read. A reminder.

stratz said...

Amen Brother you are preaching to the converted over here. I may consider working the 4 day week soon. Trouble is will be convincing others to let me do it. But Man oh man it would be nice. I am totally jealous of your situation. But you put yourself in it. So now I need to put myself in the same position. Nobody else is going to put you in it. You have to put yourself.

Mike Perry said...

Excellent! Well said.

We don't have to accept anything we don't wan't in life. It's up to us to create the lives we want.

To your continued success.

Mike.

Anonymous said...

for me everything you've said is clear. but i don't think a lot of people are this way. People want to follow. i've been self employed for the past 7 years now. i own 2 offline businesses but i really believe that the internet is the future. that is why i started my blog. its a stepping stone to internet dreams. thanks for inspiring post. you really seem like a cool guy. you and mike perry are two of my favorite bloggers. nice to see that this comment will be right under his.